Sunday, July 15, 2012

Homily: Fifteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time



It still boggles my mind how some want to ignore the Gospel, ignore Vatican II and have our religion focused on spiritual worthiness versus Gospel Hospitality. Every week it seems we read another example of the growing faction of orthodoxy within our Church who would love to ignore the directions and documents that came forth from Vatican II and roll back time to the way it was before 1963.  I guess, no surprise. They are the same issues Jesus faced back at home in Nazareth as we hear in today’s Gospel.  Mark reminds us that armed with only a walk stick and sandals (emptying ourselves) we are called to be Christ to the world.
See my take on Gospel Hospitality…
Click here for the readings
Click here for the homily

3 comments:

Fran said...

What a beautiful homily for this Sunday - and for what it means for us to be church, at large.

Thank you.

Siervas del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús said...

To my second-favorite deacon ever:
This is great stuff. Thanks for sharing. Let's keep asking the Holy Spirit to breathe new life into all our old, musty corners.
In Him,
a nun you know ;)
PS--being my second-favorite deacon is actually something to be quite proud of--you meet a lot of deacons in my line of work ;)

Jim said...

Ahhh...Dear Sister,

Since I know and love your favorite deacon, I am honored to be right behind your Dad!!

Blessings to you and all the children of Bolivia!